PC Maintenance Guide
To help fix your slow computer, show it some love. It will come back to life! We've compiled 14 quick tips to help you improve PC performance and keep your computer running smoothly so it doesn't slow you down.
1. Keep your computer in a smoke-free environment. The residue from cigarette smoke can corrode exposed metal contacts and damage delicate contacts and circuits.
2. Do a regular spring cleaning. Excess heat will damage the sensitive circuits in your PC. Dust and dirt are the most common culprits and will require you to fix your slow computer in order to regain performance. If your computer's vents and cooling fans are clogged, they can stop air from moving through the computer and cooling it down. Do a spring cleaning every year on your keyboard, mouse, screen, and PC unit with compressed air. Also use a vacuum cleaner to remove the dust that is built up inside the case in order to further improve PC performance.
3. Backup your data. A backup of all of your data will help you recover your files, photos, music, and applications when your drive fails. Notice that we didn't say “if your drive fails”…trust us, it WILL happen. You can backup your files manually or use an automatic backup program.
4. Handle with care. Whenever you move your computer, even if it's just across the top of your desk, make sure the machine is shut down and unplugged.
5. Leave your PC on. Powering up your computer from a cold state everyday is stressful to your system's components. If you don't want to leave your PC running all the time, use the hibernation mode rather than completely shutting down. After you fix your slow computer and improve PC performance with PC Tune-Up™, leaving your computer on will help you properly maintain a smooth-running system.
6. Turn off your monitor. The best way to extend the life of your display is to shut it off when you are not using it.
7. Reboot your PC when programs crash. Failed applications can cause other programs to falter. Don't let the bad apple spoil the rest. Simply restart your computer when a program crashes to clear it out.
8. Update your virus protection. Viruses spread like wildfire within hours, so it's important to keep your anti-virus software up to date. Perform a full virus scan on a regular basis to ensure there is nothing scary hiding on your system.
9. Keep spyware off your computer. Spyware is nasty and it's evolving so quickly that it's nearly impossible for one anti-spyware program to catch it all. Anti-spyware programs work best as a team because they all have different technologies behind their detection and removal process. We recommend that you run 2 – 3 programs on a regular basis to keep your computer free of spyware.
10. Run a Windows Update. A quick visit to Microsoft's site will ensure you have the latest patches for Windows, your programs, your hardware, or your devices.
11. Update your software. To ensure you have the latest versions of software on your PC, check for vendors' software updates at VersionTracker.
12. Defrag your computer. The easiest way to defrag your computer is to use a registry cleaner, such as PC Tune-Up™. With the click of a button, PC Tune-Up™ will scan your registry for these fragmented files, bring them together, and safely remove them to fix your slow computer and dramatically improve PC performance.
13. Remove unnecessary files. Take a quick inventory of the files that you have saved on your computer and delete the ones that you don't need anymore. Be sure to empty your recycle bin on a regular basis. Delete cookies, cache files, Internet history, and temp files from your computer. These are all taking up valuable space on your hard drive and removing them will help you improve your PC performance.
14. Uninstall unused programs. One way to fix a slow-running computer is to use the uninstall utility to remove these programs rather than deleting them manually. You can do this by selecting Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. When you click on the Add/Remove Programs icon a dialogue box will appear on your screen. Scroll through the menu of software and select the application you wish to uninstall, then click the Add/Remove button.
Don’t put it off any longer! In addition to following these general guidelines for proper computer maintenance, you can now quickly and easily fix your slow computer and dramatically improve PC performance with PC Tune-Up™.
Improve PC performance by removing the items that impact the overall health of your computer. PC Tune-Up™ can help you fix your slow computer and dramatically improve its reliability.
We are always exploring new ways to improve PC performance for our customers. Check back for new and exciting software solutions.